THE Council’s annual summer road resurfacing is due to begin on Monday August 8th.
This year’s £500,000 programme will see nine main roads, covering more than 23,000m2 of road surface, renewed to create better and safer routes for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.
The project is expected to last four weeks, weather permitting.
A full list of the roads to be resurfaced and the scheduled timings of that work can be found below (notes to editors).
Advance notices will be in place in the days before work on a road begins. Notification letters will also be delivered to nearby residents and businesses affected, detailing the length of the works. Signed diversions will be in operation when road closures are required.
In some instances, temporary parking restrictions on roads other than those mentioned in the list below will be necessary for the work to be carried out as quickly and safely as possible.
Cllr Tony Page, Lead Councillor for Strategic Environment, Planning and Transport, at Reading Borough Council, said:
“The Council’s annual summer road resurfacing project will this year see nine main roads across the borough renewed to benefit all road users.
“This is again a much reduced resurfacing programme compared to previous years due to the ongoing and substantial cuts in the Government grant for highways maintenance. The work runs in parallel with the Council’s separate pothole repair programme, which is continuing.
“The resurfacing work will cause some disruption and we ask all road users for understanding while it takes place.”
Notes for Editors:
The full list of roads scheduled for resurfacing and traffic management required are as follows.
1. Beresford Road ( Rail Bridge to Barnwood Close and Portman Road between Beresford Road and Ashmere Terrace). Roads Closed for 2 days 8.00 am to 8.00 pm 8th August to 9th August.
2. Upper Woodcote Road (2 sections Richmond Road to Woodcote Way and Blagrave lane to house no 188). Road Closed 3 days 9.30 am to 3.30 pm 9th August to 11th August.
3. Kings Road (Duke Street to Watlington Street) Road Closed 3 days 8.00 am to 8.00 pm 11th August to 12th August and 15th August.
4. Basingstoke Road (Craddock Road to Winchester Road.) Lane Closures 1 day 8.00 am to 8.00 pm 16th August.
5. Caversham Road (Abattoirs Road to Northfield Road) Road Closed 3 nights 7.00 pm to 1.00 am 17th August to 19th August.
6. The Forbury Road ( Valpy Street to Abbots Walk) Road Closed 2 nights 7.00 pm to 1.00 am 22nd August to 23 August.
7. Kings Road (Gas Works Road to no 179 Kings Road) Lane Closures 5 nights 5.00 pm to 1.00 am 29th August to 2nd September and 5th September.
8. Caversham Road (Thames Avenue to Brigham Road) Road Closed Westbound 1 night 7.00 pm to 1.00 am 6th September.
9. Northumberland Avenue (Canterbury Road to Cressingham Road) Road Closed 2 days 8.00 am to 8.00pm 7th September to 9th September.
NB: All programmed dates are subject to change depending on weather conditions.