REVISED dates for the resurfacing of 12 main roads in Reading have been confirmed.
This year’s programme still begins in mid-July and will see nearly 3 kilometres of road resurfaced across the borough. The schedule of work has been re-programmed however following discussions with the Council’s contractor. The updated list of when work will begin on each road and the duration can be found below (See Notes To Editors).
Work begins with a series of overnight closures beginning on July 16th onwards on sections of London Street, Duke Street and Bridge Street. Day time working begins on July 24th onwards – a day earlier than first planned – to coincide with the school holidays when traffic levels are lower. Works will then continue through the first half of August and are programmed to be completed before the Reading Festival period.
Advance notices will be in place to warn drivers in the days before works commence in each road. Notification letters will also be sent to local residents and businesses affected by the works. Locally signed diversion routes will be in place during road closures.
Councillor Tony Page, Lead Member for Strategic Environment, Planning and Transport, at Reading Borough Council, said:
“The Council will resurface 12 sections of main road this year – covering nearly 3 kilometres – which will benefit all road users in Reading. The dates of when work will start on each road have been slightly revised following discussions with the Council’s contractor.
“There is no doubt that the combination of a cold snap earlier this year, and a reducing road repair grant from Central Government over a number of years, has had an major impact on road surfaces everywhere, including in Reading. The 12 roads to be resurfaced have been selected on a priority basis from recent road assessment surveys and against the budget available.
“The works involve a combination of overnight works and daytime works, and all but one involves a full road closure and diversion. We would advise all road users to be aware of the schedule. Residents and businesses will be sent letters in advance.
“As always the daytime works have been scheduled to coincide with the school holidays when roads are generally quieter, but there will inevitably be some inconvenience. We would ask road users to bear with us while these important improvement works take place.”
Notes for Editors:
The updated list of roads scheduled for resurfacing and traffic management requirements are as follows. All timings are weather dependent.
· London Street – Junction Queen’s Road to Junction London Road (Katesgrove Ward): Monday 16th July to Friday 20th July (5 nights). Working hours 7.00 pm to 1.00am. Full Road Closure with a signed diversion route.
· Duke Street – Junction Queen’s Road to Zebra Crossing Vicinity (Abbey Ward): Thursday 19th July to Friday 20th July (2 nights). Working hours 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full Road Closure with signed diversion route.
· Bridge Street – IDR to Fobney Street (Abbey Ward): Monday 23rd July to Friday 27th July (5 nights). Working hours 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full Road Closure with signed diversion route.
· Park Lane – Junction Halls Road to Junction City Road (Tilehurst Ward): Tuesday 24th July to Wednesday 25th July (2 days). Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· City Road – Junction Park Lane to Borough Boundary (Tilehurst Ward):Wednesday 25th July (1 day). Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· Burghfield Road – Junction Bath Road to Old Kennels Court (Southcote Ward):Monday 30th July to Friday 3rd August (5 days). Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· Caversham Park Road – Junction Birchwood Close to Junction Northbrook Close (Peppard Ward): Tuesday 31st July to Wednesday 1st August (2 days). Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· Redlands Road – House No 24 to Junction London Road (Redlands Ward): Thursday 2nd August to Friday 3rd August (2 days) working 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· Wigmore Lane/Portman Road – Junction Stone Street to Junction Bridgewater Close (Kentwood Ward): Monday 6th August to Wednesday 8th August (3 nights) working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· Oxford Road – Westbound from Reading Retail Park to Norcot Road Roundabout (Norcot Ward): Thursday 9th August (1 night) working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Lane Closures with Traffic Management.
· Southampton Street – Junction Pell Street to Junction Crown Street (Katesgrove Ward): Friday 10th August to Wednesday 15th August (4 nights) working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full Road Closure with signed diversion.
· Rose Kiln Lane – Junction Admiral Court to Junction Berkeley Avenue (Minster Ward): Monday 13th August to Wednesday 15th August (3 days) working 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. Full Road closure with signed diversion.