THE annual summer major roads resurfacing programme got under way in Reading this morning (Tuesday 1st August).
The five-week programme which started in Norcot Road will see resurfacing work on 15 sections of main road covering more than 34,000m2 of road surface across the borough.
A slightly revised works programme with dates and hours of working can be found below in Notes to Editors.
Advance notices will be in place to warn drivers in the days before works commence in each road. Notification letters will also be sent to local residents and businesses affected by the works. Locally signed diversion routes will be in place during road closures.
The resurfacing programme will be suspended over the Reading Festival period on the traffic sensitive routes, from 23rd – 28th August inclusive.
Councillor Tony Page, Reading’s Lead Councillor for Strategic Environment, Planning and Transport, said:
“The Council will resurface a total of 15 sections of main road this year as part of the annual programme, which benefits all road users.
“The work involves a combination of full closures and lane closures. We would advise all road users to be aware of the schedule, and directly affected residents and businesses will be sent letters in advance.
“As always the works have been scheduled to coincide with the school holidays when roads are generally quieter, but there will inevitably be some inconvenience. We would ask road users to bear with us while these improvement works take place.”
Notes to Editors
The list of roads scheduled for resurfacing and traffic management requirements are as follows. All timings are weather dependent:
• Norcot Road (Blundells Road to Church End Lane): Tuesday 1st August (1 Day) 09.00 – 17.00hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Grovelands Road (Brisbane Road to Oxford Road): Wednesday 2nd August to Friday 4th August (3 Days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Tilehurst Road (Waverley Road to Elm Park): Friday 4th August (1 Day) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Bath Road (90m east of Honey End Lane to signalised crossing east of Circuit Lane): Monday 7th August to Wednesday 9th August (3 Days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. TRAFFIC LIGHTS/LANE CLOSURES
• Western Elms Avenue: Wednesday 9th August to Friday 11th August (3 days) 09.00 – 20.00hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Caversham Park Road (Kiln Road to Birchwood Close): Friday 11th August (1 day) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Tudor Road (Half the length of road on the Caversham Road side): Monday 14th August & Tuesday 15th August (2 days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Castle Hill (Westbound lane from Coley Hill to Coley Avenue): Monday 14th August to Friday 18th August (5 days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs & NIGHT TIME WORKING 19.00 – 01.00hrs. TRAFFIC LIGHTS/LANE CLOSURES
• Richmond Road (Albert Road to Woodcote Road): Tuesday 15th August & Wednesday 16th August (2 days) 08.00 – 20.00hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Castle Street (from Castle Street Barbers to IDR roundabout): Tuesday 15th August to Thursday 17th August (3 days) NIGHT TIME WORKING 19.00 – 01.00hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Peppard Road (Prospect Street to Derby Road): Thursday 17th August & Friday 18th August (2 days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• George Street: Thursday 17th August & Friday 18th August (2 days) NIGHT TIME WORKING 19.00 – 01.00hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Coley Avenue (Froxfield Avenue and Upavon Drive): Monday 21st August (1 day) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Crescent Road: Tuesday 22nd August & Wednesday 23rd August (2 days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs. FULL CLOSURE
• Bath Road (300m west of Parkside Road): Tuesday 29th August to Monday 4th September (5 days) 09.30 – 15.30hrs & NIGHT TIME WORKING 19.00 – 01.00hrs. FULL CLOSURE