TWELVE main roads across Reading will be resurfaced this year as part of the Council’s annual programme to improve surfaces for all road users.
This year’s programme begins in mid-July and will see nearly 3 kilometres of road resurfaced across the borough.
Work begins with a series of overnight closures beginning on July 16th onwards on sections of London Street, Duke Street and Bridge Street. Day time working begins on July 25th onwards, to coincide with the school holidays when traffic levels are lower. Works will then continue through the first half of August and are programmed to be completed before the Reading Festival period.
Advance notices will be in place to warn drivers in the days before works commence in each road. Notification letters will also be sent to local residents and businesses affected by the works. Locally signed diversion routes will be in place during road closures.
A full list of the roads to be resurfaced, programme dates and hours of working can be found below (Notes for Editors).
Councillor Tony Page, Lead Member for Strategic Environment, Planning and Transport, at Reading Borough Council, said:
“The Council will resurface 12 sections of main road this year – covering nearly 3 kilometres – which will benefit all road users in Reading.
“There is no doubt that the combination of a cold snap earlier this year, and a reducing road repair grant from Central Government over a number of years, has had an major impact on road surfaces everywhere, including in Reading. The 12 roads to be resurfaced have been selected on a priority basis from recent road assessment surveys and against the budget available.
“These works involve a combination of overnight works and daytime works, and full closures and lane closures. We would advise all road users to be aware of the schedule. Residents and businesses will be sent letters in advance.
“As always the daytime works have been scheduled to coincide with the school holidays when roads are generally quieter, but there will inevitably be some inconvenience. We would ask road users to bear with us while these important improvement works take place.”
Notes for Editors:
The list of roads scheduled for resurfacing and traffic management requirements are as follows. All timings are weather dependent.
- London Street – Junction Queen’s Road to Junction London Road (Katesgrove Ward) Start Monday 16th July expected to take up to 5 nights. Working hours 7.00 pm to 1.00am. Full road closure with a signed diversion route.
- Duke Street – Junction Queen’s Road to Zebra Crossing Vicinity (Abbey Ward) Start Thursday 19th July expected to take 2 nights working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Bridge Street – IDR to Fobney Street ( Abbey Ward) Start Monday 23rd July expected to take up to 8 nights. Working hours 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full Road closure with signed diversion route.
- Park Lane – Junction Halls Road to Junction City Road (Tilehurst Ward) Start Wednesday 25th July expected to take 2 days. Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- City Road – Junction Park Lane to Borough Boundary (Tilehurst Ward) Start Thursday 26th July expected to take 1 day. Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Burghfield Road – Junction Bath Road to Old Kennels Court (Southcote Ward) Start Friday 27th July expected to take 5 days. Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Caversham Park Road – Junction Birchwood Close to Junction Northbrook Close (Peppard Ward) Start Monday 30th July expected to take 2 days. Working hours 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Redlands Road – House No 24 to Junction London Road (Redlands Ward). Start Wednesday 1st August expected to take 2 days working 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Wigmore Lane/Portman Road – Junction Stone Street to Junction Bridgewater Close (Kentwood Ward) Start Monday 6th August expected to take 3 nights working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Oxford Road – Westbound from Reading Retail Park to Norcot Road Roundabout (Norcot Ward) Start Thursday 9th August expected to take 1 night working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Lane closures with Traffic Management.
- Southampton Street – Junction Pell Street to Junction Crown Street (Katesgrove Ward) Start Friday 10th August expected to take 4 nights working 7.00 pm to 1.00 am. Full road closure with signed diversion.
- Rose Kiln Lane – Junction Admiral Court to Junction Berkeley Avenue (Minster Ward) Start Monday 13th August expected to take 3 days working 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. Full road closure with signed diversion.